Hedemora, in southern Dalarna, received its city rights in 1446, but was already a marketplace and focal point for medieval iron and copper management, including from Garpenberg and Vikaberg.
The oldest building in today’s Hedemora is unequivocally the church, whose oldest parts are from the late 1200s or early 1300s. Several buildings from the time before the first city fire are also left, such as the old pharmacy house (now tourist office). Several farms also have, to a certain degree, buildings left from the time before the first fire. 1527 founded the Gustav Vasa, a school in the city, in the neighborhood Ripan (next to the current Lagman farm), and in 1531 a poorhouse. Neither the school nor the poverty house is still there today.
The oldest known map of the settlement in Hedemora dates from 1642 and shows a city with clear medieval irregular structures along the main roads. One of these roads was the eastern part of the current Gussarvsgatan, which broke off and crossed Stora torget, Hökartorget and Oxtorget, before it finally reached the highway on the hill. From Stora torget there was also a south-northern road from the church, which corresponds to the present church church-long street. The big square was larger than today, especially in the north-east. Hökartorget was situated until the 1849 fire, where the current Oxtorget lies, and was larger. After the fire, both the big wave of the square and the name Hökartorget moved to the present place. South of the current Polisbacken, Southwest of Oxtorget, was vicar’s yard, which gave its name to Prost Myren, where Vasahallen and Vaasa slide is now located.
In Hedemora there are five building memories:
The old pharmacy, Hedemora
Hedemora Theater Ladder
Perssonian farm, the Gäddan district
Hedemora’s buildings are of varying appearance, but are mainly built in one to three planes. The city’s culture-historically interesting buildings have been marked with small brown signs with a brief historical background to the houses, and an information brochure has been printed to facilitate the finding of these buildings. In 1987 Hedemora became a national interest.
According to Daniels Sven Olsson, Hedemora’s current settlement in the city center is generally attributable to four epochs:
Buildings and settlement structures derived from the time before the fire in 1754.
Building from the time between the fire of 1754 and the fire of 1849, when the city got a more modern look with more straight lines and a more regulated house and square structure.
The time after the fire in 1849 until about 1875, with buildings adapted to the new city plans.
“The New Age”, after about 1875, when influences from outside and architect-designed houses (including Lars Israel Wahlman and Carl Johan Perne) were styling. In 1905 a new building plan for the city was established.
The city’s four squares, Stora torget, Myrtorget, Hökartorget and Oxtorget have created a setting for the city center in the east, as well as the Gästgivaremyren, which later became Sveaparken / Stadsparken, created a western border. The majority of the city’s shops are located on the hill and adjacent to the square.
At Stora torget are several of the oldest houses in the city, such as the city hotel, the old pharmacy, the Falken district, Persson farm and Sahlbergska farm. Also Hedemora Old Theater, Berglundska Farm and Bos-Kalles Farm are close to the square.
he small gray mountain farm (called Gråbergs) formed together with the Great Gray Mountains farm and the Engström farm (both now demolished) an area called the Rusbogårdarna. This was until 1660 its own town, Rusbo, which together with the village of Gussarvet became part of Hedemora city. Rusbo was called Old Hedemora in the 16th century, but was named Rusbo after Knut Ruus, who owned one half of the village (the other half was owned by Lasse Finne).
Söder om Hönsan
The neighborhoods Trasten, Tranan and Lommen around the southern end of Lake Hönsan belong to the oldest quarter in Hedemora.
In the pocket is Cederstam farm, not far from Hedemora old farm. The farmhouse has a basement farm from the first part of the 17th century, the main building is probably from the 18th century. Some of the houses in the Trasten district, along the Långgatan, are also from the 1700s, Langens farm, possibly from the 17th century. In the district of Tranan is the Kuhnegården, a 17th century farm, serving as a health resort in the early 20th century.
A number of apartment buildings in brick were built both for the public service Hedemorabostäder and for private rental companies and tenant-owner associations from the 1930s, where a part of the Bävern district along Långgatan, at Henemoren, is a time-consuming example.
The construction of multi-family houses started well during the 1950s until the 1970s, expanding the extent of the city. These include, among other things, neighborhoods such as Hedemorahem, Horse and Hammar. However, Hedemora was never included in the Million Program (1965 – 1975). In the 1980s, the neighborhood Norelund, which was also built for public housing, was added to the two-storey houses with red wooden façades and a building plan that was more suited for families with children than in the former quarter. This residential area was also the first apartment stock outside the city center, in the area of Tallåkern, which since the 1940s had a smaller villa area slightly north of this apartment stock.
The areas of Högåsa and Hedbyvreten began to be built in the 1920s and 1930s. In the 1960s, the Emaus villa area northeast of Brunnsjön began to be built, and land was also bought around Svedjans manor house. In the early 1970s, Emaus became almost completely expanded and the new area of Svedjan south of Brunnsjön began to take shape. However, the major expansion of Svedjan did not come until the 1980s.
Lars Israel Wahlman
Hedemora is the city with the most buildings designed by architect Lars Israel Wahlman, including Villa Trefnan, Trotzgården and Wahlmanska House.
Villa Trefnan was designed and built in 1901 and was home to Wahlman’s parents. On the plot next to it lies Trotzgården, even it was built in 1901 and was built for councilor Karl Trotzig. Wahlmanska House, built in 1899, was the city’s thermal bathhouse until 1974, but now the house is used as a gallery for various temporary art exhibitions.
There are four mansions around the old city, namely Emaus mansion, Eriksdals mansion, Hälla mansion and Svedjans mansion. Of these, Emaus Manor and Svedjan’s Manor are now within the city and the others just outside. There is evidence that Gustav Vasa should have founded a royal farm more centrally in Hedemora, but where it would have been unclear.
Emaus mansion, at Stadsberget, was home to mayor and high-ranking military. The oldest documentation about the farm dates back to 1646, when the departing mayor Daniel Pålsson Bagge moved. It is now insured because of a smaller tree stock.
Eriksdals mansion, north of the residential area Emaus and west of Tallåkern, consisted of two farms. The documentation is from the late 1600s. The farm had a brick production from the 1820s to the 1880s, founded by Carl Gustaf Schröder, who also performed the Hedemora theater theater. Until 1953 there were dairy cows on the farm.
Hälla mansion, southeast of the city, is mentioned in the dictum of 1555 and has been a farm property. Animal husbandry on the farm ceased after World War II, when the cows on the farm suffered from Bang’s disease (contagious throat).
Svedjan’s manor house is listed as the Kronohemman in 1694 and is, according to the large-scale map of 1763, a rustmästarbostad for the Lieutenant’s Companion at the Västmanlands regiment. The manor house was a military residence from the 1750s to the 1860s, after which it has been a rest home and merchant residence. The manor house was left empty for a long time, but is rebuilt.
The city hotel was built in 1860 after the drawings of C. Ålander and his name from 1887 Hotell Ture after source master Ture Sjögren. The hotel’s pub Kings Arms is located where Hedemora Sprinkler Company, later Systembolaget, had premises from the 1886 to the 1980s and has been rebuilt in several installments. There are also banks and telegraph and telephone stations in the house.
The Berglund farm has been named after Dr. Berglund’s doctor’s hospital, which was in the house in the mid-20th century, but was originally built for councilor Samuelsson in 1881. The farm is considered, as signposted, to be the city’s best example of a castle after the city fire in 1849.
Vasaskolan is built in two rounds, 1914 – 1915, after drawings by Georg A Nilsson and 1967 – 1969, after drawings by Julius Järnåker. It houses the city’s high school. Wall to wall is Martin Koch High School, City High School.
The Vasakyrkan was built in 1976, where Hedemora’s mission church was earlier.
The Polishus was built in 1911 and was designed by architect Carl Johan Perne. Nowadays, the police have moved the operations from the house to Systembolaget’s old premises in Tjädernhuset, but previously there were fire departments, fishery offices and shelters in the building. The detention took place under the name “Hotell Haglund”.
The Hanssonian villa, or the Old Library, was built for Johan Adolf Brunzell, who was a member of Hedemora Verkstäder, 1918, following drawings by Lars Kolmodin. Between 1963 and 1994, the building was Hedemora’s library. A cafe has also been held in the house.
The Old Tingshuset, Hedemora tingsrätt’s house, was built in 1914 after drawings by city architect Klas Boman in Falun. Above the entrance there is a round window with leaf ornament. In 1966 an extension was made in Mexico. The District Court was released in 2001 and now the Södra Dalarna Care Center has operations in the premises.
The cold bath house with its associated jumping tower was completed at Lake Hönsan in 1931. A pedestrian bridge was built in the mid -1930s, the tower has been moved, demolished and rebuilt (by 2004) and the wood ponds in the shallow basins have been demolished.
Elk Church in Tviksta was a power station 1917 – 2005. It was the last power station in Sweden with switches on the wind. It is vitrapped and reminiscent of the shape of a turbulent church.
Silon at highway 70. On the eastern side of highway 70, in line with the city’s current iron trade, Sweden’s only artistic ornate silo lies. The artwork is the Forest, the Water, the Power and the Dreams, and was created by Roland Backlund.
Source from Wikipedia