Hoca Ali Rıza 1919
From the collection of
Sakıp Sabancı Museum
Hoca Ali Rıza was born in Üsküdar. His interest in art began when he was studying at the Military High School; later, he took lessons from leading painters of the period: Osman Nuri Paşa, Süleyman Seyyid and Pierre Quès. After graduating from the Military Academy in 1884 he was appointed as art teacher at the same school, and the following year became head of the school’s art studio with the rank of adjutant major. He trained many military artists, and also taught at the School of Fine Arts for Girls and several girls’ high schools. When the Ottoman Society of Painters was founded in 1909 he served as its president for a brief period and wrote articles for the society’s periodical. He retired in 1910. His only solo exhibition was held three years after his death in Eminönü Community Centre.
Hoca Ali Rıza is one of the military painters, a group of artists who trained at 19th century Ottoman military schools, where the teaching followed western methods. These artists can be regarded as the initiators of western-style painting in Ottoman Turkey in the nineteenth century. They often preferred to paint landscapes and still lifes because of a traditional reluctance to depict human figures in Ottoman art, portraits of the sultans being an exception.
Creator: Hoca Ali Rıza (Turkish, 1964-1930)
Date Created: 1919
Physical Dimensions: w61 x h43.5 cm
Rights: Sakıp Sabancı Museum
External Link: http://digisu.sabanciuniv.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/ResimKlksyn/id/660/rec/1
Medium: Oil on canvas
Sakıp Sabancı Museum
Sabancı University’s Sakıp Sabancı Museum is located in Emirgan, at one of Istanbul’s oldest settlements on the Bosphorus.
In 1927, Prince Mehmed Ali Hasan of the Hidiv family of Egypt commissioned the Italian architect Edouard De Nari to build the villa, now the museum’s main building, and it was used as a summer house for many years by various members of the Hidiv family; for a short time it also served as the Montenegran Embassy.
After the mansion was purchased in 1950 by industrialist Hacı Ömer Sabancı from Princess Iffet, a member of the Hidiv family, as a summer residence, it came to be known as Atlı Köşk, “The Horse Mansion”, because of the statue of a horse (purchased in the same year) that was installed in the garden; the statue is the 1864 work of the French sculptor Louis Doumas.
A second horse sculpture on the grounds of Atlı Köşk that gave the mansion its name is the cast of one of the four horses taken from Sultanahmet square in Istanbul when it was looted by Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade in 1204 and removed to the Basilica of San Marco in Venice.
After the death of Hacı Ömer Sabancı in 1966, Atlı Köşk began to be used permanently as a home by Sakıp Sabancı in 1974 as the eldest of the family, and for many years housed Sakıp Sabancı’s rich collection of calligraphy and paintings. In 1998, together with its collection and furnishings, the mansion was allocated to Sabancı University to be transformed into a museum.
With the annex of a modern gallery, the exhibition areas of the museum opened to visitors in 2002; with a further extension of the layout in 2005, the technical level of the museum reached international standards.
Today Sabancı University Sakıp Sabancı Museum presents a versatile museological environment with its rich permanent collection, the comprehensive temporary exhibitions that it hosts, its conservation units, model educational programs and the various concerts, conferences and seminars held there.
Hoca Ali Rıza
1858 – 1939
Hoca Ali Rıza was a Turkish painter and art teacher, known primarily for his Impressionist landscapes and architectural paintings.