Andrea di Bartolo was an Italian painter of the Sienese School, active between 1389–1428.
Andrea di Bartolo was the son and pupil of Bartolo di Fredi, a very prominent painter in Siena. His youth was spent working in his father’s workshop which received many prestigious orders.
He collaborated with his father and Luca di Tommè on an altarpiece (now lost) for the altar of the shoemaker’s guild in the cathedral of Siena in 1389. This is his first documented work. However, it is believed that his hand can be discerned in works of his father painted between 1380 and 1389, such as in the Massacre of the Innocents (Walters Art Museum).
Andrea likely set up his own workshop around 1390. He was extremely successful in Siena and obtained numerous commissions even from as far as Veneto. His patrons were drawn from the same monastic circles as his father such as the Franciscans of Montalcino and the Dominicans of Siena. From his studio he produced a large number of works, some of which have survived and are found in various museums around the world. Like Simone Martini he travelled far to execute work for patrons, including the Marches, Veneto and Treviso.
It is possible Andrea was the father of the painter Giorgio di Andrea di Bartolo (active 1409 to 1428).