Giovanni Battista Galestruzzi

Giovanni Battista Galestruzzi (1618 – 1677) was an Italian painter and etcher of the Baroque period. Born in Florence, he was a pupil of the painter Francesco Furini, then moved to Rome, where he joined the Accademia di San Luca in 1652. He was an accomplished etcher and produced works for Leonardo Agostini’s book ‘Le gemme antiche figurate’.

Galestruzzi’s life is little known. He was a pupil of Francesco Furini and, in 1652, a member of the Accademia di San Luca, who had a painting by him (St. Madonna). Two more pictures of him are to be found in the Palazzo Salviati in Rome.

As an eraser, he focused on Stefano della Bella (1610-1664), with whom he was personally related. His technique is also compared to that of Giovanni Andrea Podestà (1608-1673). Among his principal works are the etchings of Polidoro da Caravaggio’s frescoes at Palazzo Milesi in Rome, published in 1658 under the title “Opere di Polidore da Caravaggio”. Galestruzzi’s most extensive and interesting work are the imitations of Leonardo Agostini’s work “Le gemme antiche figurate”. In addition, he has etched the theater decorations of Giovanni Francesco Grimaldi to the opera “Il Trionfo della Pietà” and the decorations designed by Abbot Elpidio Benedetti for the funeral of Cardinal Mazarin.

The Roman baroque painter and engraver Giovanni Francesco Venturini was probably his pupil.

Works:
A Putto riding a sea monster,
bacchanalia
The Family of Darius at the foot of Alexander (from the series of Roman history after Polidoro da Caravaggio), fresco, facade of Palazzo Milesi, Rome.
The Soldiers of Cyrus defeat the army of Spardadise (of the series of the Roman history), according to Polidoro da Caravaggio.
The Abduction of the Sabines, Engraving,
The Castration of Uranus, engraving,
Apollo and Diana attacking the children of Niobe, engraving after Polidoro da Caravaggio, story of Niobe.
Procession of suppliants, engraving,
Holy Family, Parish Church, Soldano
Bust of a woman in a niche between two vases (1658), engraving, Milesi Palace, Rome.
A Breastplate between pairs of shoes and vases (v. 1658) engraving of the series of ancient war trophies after Polidoro da Caravaggio), facade Milesi Palace, Rome.