Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus and Kunstbau München, Germany

The Lenbachhaus has its home in the former residence of society painter Franz von Lenbach. Its international reputation is based on a unique collection of works by the Blauer Reiter (Blue Rider) group, founded in Munich in 1911 by Wassily Kandinsky and Franz Marc. The Lenbachhaus also features works from the nineteenth-century Munich school and a substantial collection of works by significant international representatives of recent art, including Joseph Beuys, Gerhard Richter, Isa Genzken, Sigmar Polke, Dan Flavin, Olafur Eliasson, Thomas Demand, and Sol LeWitt.

The Städel, officially the Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie, is an art museum in Frankfurt am Main, with one of the most important collections in Germany. The Städel owns 2,700 paintings (of which 600 are displayed) and a collection of 100,000 drawings and prints as well as 600 sculptures. It has around 4,000 m² of display and a library of 100,000 books and 400 periodicals.

The Städel was honoured as “Museum of the Year 2012” by the German art critics association AICA in 2012. In the same year the museum recorded the highest attendance figures in its history, of 447,395 visitors

The Städel was founded in 1815 by the Frankfurt banker and merchant Johann Friedrich Städel. In 1878, a new building, designed according to the Gründerzeit style, was erected on Schaumainkai street, presently the major museum district. By the start of the 20th century, the gallery was among the most prominent German collections of classic Pan-European art; the other such collections open to the public were the Dresden Gallery, the Alte Pinakothek in Munich, and the Altes Museum in Berlin.

The Städel has European paintings from seven centuries, beginning with the early 14th century, moving into Late Gothic, the Renaissance, Baroque, and into the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. The large collection of prints and drawings is not on permanent display and occupies the first floor of the museum. Works on paper not on display can be viewed by appointment.

The gallery has a conservation department that performs conservation and restoration work on the collection.