The Tokyo National Museum (東京国立博物館), or TNM, established in 1872, is the oldest Japanese national museum, the largest art museum in Japan and one of the largest art museums in the world The museum collects, houses, and preserves a comprehensive collection of art works and archaeological objects of Asia, focusing on Japan The museum holds over 110,000 objects, which includes 87 Japanese National Treasure holdings and 610 Important Cultural Property holdings (as of July 2005) The museum also conducts research and organizes educational events related to its collection
The Tokyo National Museum collects, houses, and displays a comprehensive collection of art works and antiquities from Japan as well as other Asian countries The museum also conducts research and investigations concerning its collection of books, rubbings, and photographs, related to fine art, and makes these items available to scholars
The National Museum of the National Cultural Property of Japan (National Cultural Heritage Organization of Independent Administrative Institution) aims to collect and preserve cultural properties of Japan and the Orient (art objects, archeological remains, etc.), exhibition disclosure, survey research, It is a museum to operate.
Founded in 1872 (Meiji 5), it is the oldest museum in Japan. It is located in Ueno Imperial Park in Taito Ward, Tokyo. It consists of five exhibition halls, a museum, and other facilities of the main building, the Keio Hall, the Toyokan, the Heiseikan, and the Horyuji Treasury.
The museum is located inside Ueno Park in Taitō, Tokyo The facilities consist of the Honkan (本館, Japanese Gallery), Tōyōkan (東洋館, Asian Gallery), Hyōkeikan (表慶館), Heiseikan (平成館), Hōryū-ji Hōmotsukan (法隆寺宝物館, the Gallery of Hōryū-ji Treasures), as well as Shiryōkan (資料館, the Research and Information Center), and other facilities There are restaurants and shops within the museum’s premises, as well as outdoor exhibitions and a garden where visitors can enjoy seasonal views
The museum’s collections focus on ancient Japanese art and Asian art along the Silk Road There is also a large collection of Greco-Buddhist art
The museum came into being in 1872, when the first exhibition was held by the Museum Department of the Ministry of Education at the Taiseiden Hall This marked the inauguration of the first museum in Japan Soon after the opening, the museum moved to Uchiyamashita-cho (present Uchisaiwai-cho), then in 1882 moved again to the Ueno Park, where it stands today Since its establishment, the museum has experienced major challenges such as the Great Kantō earthquake in 1923, and a temporary closing in 1945, during World War II In more than the 120 years of its history, the museum has gone under much evolution and transformation through organizational reforms and administrative change
The museum went through several name changes, being called the Imperial Museum in 1886 and the Tokyo Imperial Household Museum in 1900, until it was given its present title in 1947
Honkan (Japanese Gallery):
The original main building (honkan) was designed by the British architect Josiah Conder It was severely damaged in the Great Kantō earthquake of 1923 In contrast to the original building’s more Western style, the design of the present main building by Jin Watanabe is the more nativist Imperial Crown style Construction began in 1932, and the building was inaugurated in 1938 It was designated an Important Cultural Property of Japan in 2001
It was completed in 1932 (Showa 7), completed in 1937 (Showa 12 years), opened the following year 1938. The design was a public offering, and the proposal of Hitoshi Watanabe was adopted. Like Meiji Jingu Treasures, it is a Japanese and Western style architecture of shape and technology, replacing Japanese traditional wooden building with reinforced concrete. It is sometimes introduced as a representative architecture of the crown style with a Japanese style tiled roof on a non-combustible building such as reinforced concrete construction. However, some researchers say that it is wrong to classify the building as a crown style because the design of the wall is not Japanese style but Japanese style.
In 2001 the name “Old Tokyo Imperial Museum Main Building” is designated as an important cultural property. There are a total of 26 exhibition rooms on the 1st and 2nd floor (including the rooms that are normally closed and diverted), and the exhibition room is arranged around the central large staircase in the shape of “b”. Japanese paintings, sculptures, crafts and writing are on exhibition. After becoming an independent administrative corporation, it has a different name “Japan Gallery”. He received the “Japan Design Society Work Award” for 2006 in recognition of the results of activities of the main building design room.
The first to tenth rooms (2nd Floor) – entitled “Flow of Japanese Art”, with small themes such as “Art of Buddhism”, “Art of Tea”, “Art of Tea”, “Noh and Kabuki” We are doing exhibitions.
The first room “Akebono of Japanese art” “The rise of Buddhism”
2nd room ‘National Treasure Room’ – Only one national treasure exhibited alternately (Paintings / Booklets only)
Third room “Art of Buddhism” “Art of court” “Zen and ink painting”
The 4th Room “Tea Art”
The 5th and 6th rooms “Samurai’s clothing”
The 7th Room “Screens and Sumura”
The 8th Room “Furnishing of Living” “Development of Documentation”
The 9th Room “Noh and Kabuki”
The 10th Room “Ukiyo-e and Costume”
The 11th to 19th floor (1st floor) – the 1st floor is “exhibition by genre” and the 11th to 16th rooms are sculptures, lacquer work, metalwork, swords, ceramics, ethnic materials (Ainu, Ryukyus) , Historical materials are exhibited. There is no exhibition room of paintings, calligraphy, and dyeing and we are exhibited in the “Flow of Japanese art” on the second floor. The “donor honorable room” that once existed was abolished due to the relocation of the museum shop.
11th room – sculpture (Buddha statue etc.)
The 12th room – lacquerware
The 13th room – metalworks, swords, ceramics
The 14th Room – Crafts (Theme Display)
The 15th Room – Historical Records (Historical Material)
Room 16 – Ainu and Ryukyus
Room 17 – Storage and repair
Room 18 – Modern Art
Room 19 – Midori Lion (Experience Corner)
Room 20 – Museum Shop. We will sell art, archeology, books related to history and museum goods including publications of the Tokyo National Museum. Tokyo National Museum Cooperation Association is managing and product development.
Special 1 and 2 rooms (2nd floor) – A small exhibition room on the north side of the 1st and 10th rooms, exhibits such as ‘New Collection Exhibition’ will be held.
Special 3 rooms (1st floor) – Small exhibition room on the north side of the 11th room, it is not currently used.
Special 4 rooms (1st floor) – Small exhibition room on the north side of the 20th room is a coin locker room.
Special 5 rooms (1st floor) – This exhibition room, which has a vast space in the stairway behind the large staircase, has been devoted to a number of prestigious exhibition halls. In 1974 (Showa 49), a masterpiece of Leonardo da Vinci “Mona Lisa” was exhibited, and more than 1.5 million visitors were recorded. It is also an exhibition hall including Tutankhamun, Delacroix’s “Statue of Freedom guiding the people”, Tiziano’s “Venus of Urbino”, and Kofukuji’s “Buddha head”, and in 2007 (Leonardo da Vinci) “Annunciation” was exhibited for the first time in Asia. Between 2008 and 2009 was displaying Buddha statues throughout Asia. In June – July 2014 “Taipei National Palace Museum” “Potato cabbage” was exhibited.
Takamadonomi Collection Room (2nd Floor) – Exhibition of Netsushi Collection by Koin Takamadonomiyu and Parents of Ken Norio Parents Queen.
Basement 1st Floor – Midori Lion (educational spreading space). There was a museum shop until 18 March 2013.
Tōyōkan (Asian Gallery):
This building was inaugurated in 1968 and designed by Yoshiro Taniguchi This is a three-storied building which bring a feeling such as five-storied Because there are large floors arranged in a spiral ascending from the 1st floor along the mezzanines to the 3rd floor, and many stairs It has been made huge colonnade air space to reach from the first floor to the third floor ceiling inside, and placement of an exhibition room is complicated There is a restaurant and museum shop on the first floor, too
Yoshiro Taniguchi designed, opened in 1968 (Showa 43). China, the Korean Peninsula, Southeast Asia, India and Egypt. There are 13 rooms in the exhibition room (2 of which are no exhibitions and educational spreading space). After becoming an independent administrative corporation, it has an alias of “Asia Gallery”.
It was closed from June 2009 until December 2012 due to earthquake construction work and renewal of exhibition facilities, and it resumed the exhibition on January 2, 2013. Before the renewal, the top floor of the Toyokan was on the 3rd floor, but after the renovation, the middle 2nd floor and the middle 3rd floor of the former are regarded as independent floors, the top floor is displayed as the 5th floor There. The area of the exhibition room has been expanded from 3,409 square meters to 4,250 square meters with the resumption.
First Room (1st Floor) – Chinese Sculpture
Second Room (2nd Floor) – “Oasis” (Education Spreading Space)
The third room (2nd floor) – India, Gandhara, Western Region, Egypt, West Asia
The 4th Room (3rd Floor) – the beginning of Chinese civilization (Chinese archaeological)
The 5th Room (3rd Floor) – Chinese Crafts (Bronze Ware, Ceramics, Dyed Weave etc.)
The 6th Room (3rd Floor) – “Oasis” (Education Spreading Space)
The 7th Room (4th Floor) – Chinese Stone Painting
The 8th Room (4th Floor) – Chinese Paintings and Records
The 9th Room (5th Floor) – Chinese Crafts (Lacquerware, Wooden Bamboo Craft, Jade, Cloisonne, Glass etc)
The 10th Room (5th Floor) – Korean Peninsula
Eleventh Room (Basement) – Khmer’s Sculpture
The 12th Room (Basement) – Southeast Asia
The 13th Room (Basement) – Miniature Paintings in India, Textiles in Asia
Museum Theater (basement) – There is a museum theater which operates jointly with Toppan Printing on the basement floor. You can appreciate 3D cultural property images created by CG based on cultural property digital archives. Opened simultaneously with the renewal of the Toyo-kan in 2013, in the form of expanding and reorganizing the museum theater which was in the museum between 2007 and 2012.
Museum shop (1st floor) – At the same time as the Toyokan renewal in 2013, a museum shop opened on the first floor entrance.
1909 (Meiji 42), the opening ceremony to celebrate the marriage of Toyama Crown Princess Yoshinori (later Emperor Taisho). Design is court architect Katayama Touma (Kataya Tamaki). The building is designated as an important cultural asset. It is a stone and brick two-story, neo-baroque style building with dome at the center and the north and south ends, the central dome blows through, the north and south dome under the dome is a staircase room. Front entrance The left and right Lion statues are works of Mr. Okuma Hiro. The exhibition room has rooms 1, 2, 7 and 8 on the left and right of the first floor, third to six rooms on the second floor, and a ninth room at the front of the first floor. Originally it was regarded as an exhibition hall of arts and crafts, and after the Second World War, until the opening of the Heiseikan, it was used to display archaeological materials. After that, there were times when it was used as educational spreading space etc, but as of August 2016 it is closed due to the maintenance of the exhibition environment (it may be opened as a venue for small scale exhibitions).
Heiseikan serves primarily as space for special exhibitions, but also houses the Japanese Archaeology Gallery The Japanese Archaeology Gallery on the first floor traces Japanese history from ancient to pre-modern times through archaeological objects The galleries on the second floor are entirely dedicated to special exhibitions The Heiseikan building was opened in 1999 to commemorate the crown prince’s marriage The building also contains an auditorium and lounge area
Hōryū-ji Hōmotsukan (The Gallery of Hōryū-ji Treasures):
Art works from the 319 Hōryū-ji Treasures, originally donated to the Imperial Household by Hōryū-ji in 1878, are exhibited in six rooms The building was designed by Yoshio Taniguchi and furnished with the latest in conservation technology, and opened in 1999 after a full renovation The reference room on the 2nd floor mezzanine houses the “digital archive” which allows visitors to view the entire collection of Horyuji Treasures on computer with explanations provided in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, English, French, and German A restaurant is located on the first floor
In 1878 (Meiji 11), in 1964 (Showa 39) was opened in order to preserve and display about 300 “Horyu-ji Temple dedicated treasure” dedicated to the Imperial family from Horyuji. However, because the original building doubled as an exhibition room and a storage room, the opening day is limited only every Thursday, and on rainy Thursday it was not released. The current building is the second generation, opened in 1999. Materials such as gold and copper Buddha Strong work becomes a permanent exhibition and it is open to the public every day except for the closed days of the museum, regardless of the weather. Design Yoshio Taniguchi (Toyokan designer, child of Yoshiro Taniguchi). For details, refer to “Horyuji Temple Donation Treasures”.
There is a garden centered on a pond at the back of the main building, which keeps the remnants of the former Kanonji garden. The garden will be open only on the due dates in spring and autumn. In the garden there are the following buildings.
Akikan – A former Aichi Prefecture Akashinin ‘s school, donated in 1933 through a businessman, Masuda Takamiya, and was relocated in 1936.
Kujyo-kan – It was donated in 1934 and was relocated in 1936, which was in the Kujyo Dukaku residence in Tokyo Akasaka.
Rokkoan – It was a tea room in the Edo era that was originally in Nara and Kofukuji, which was relocated in 1877, the earliest period of the museum.
Harunaka Ro – Kusamura Ryuzen built in Setojuku, Kusan, after several relocations, it was moved to your location in 1959.
Shinkansen – It was a tea room of Kobori Enshu, who was in Fushimi in Kyoto, was relocated in 1963.
It was the gateway of the Edo residence of the former Onahata Tottori Clan Ikeda family, which was built in the Edo era at Daimonokuji (present Marunouchi 3-chome). It was relocated as a gateway to the Tsunamiya Goten of Shiba Takanawa Taiicho in Meiji 25, later used as the main gate of the Takanawa East Palace at the time. In 1945, it was designated as an important cultural asset of the country, it was transferred to the museum in 1945 and it is kept. Homemade building, equipped with a turning point on the left and right of the gate. At the Daimyo Yakimonium gate, it is sometimes referred to as the red gate of the University of Tokyo and is also called a black gate.
In addition to the museums (collection of books, photographs and other materials), the former Hokusai branch Takara (heavyweight), Clique cloud crest of Edo Kamiyado of Chikuzen Fukuoka clan, Jenner statue. The restaurant is located in Toyo Kanan attached building and Horyuji Treasury. In addition, there is headquarters of the Japan Crafts Association in the hall.
Kuroda Memorial Hall:
It is on the west side separated road from the museum site. It was built in 1928 (Showa 3 years) by making use of the heritage of Kuroda by Western artist Kiyotaki Kuroda (1866 – 1924), design is Shinichiro Okada. There are the Kuroda Memorial Room and the Special Room, where works of Kuroda including “Lakeside”, “Satisfaction, Satisfaction” are displayed and exhibited. The memorial hall was long under the responsibility of the Tokyo National Cultural Properties Research Institute (Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties), but in 2007 two independent administrative corporations, “National Museum” and “Cultural Property Research Institute” integrated and became independent Following the establishment of the National Cultural Properties Organization, the memorial hall became the jurisdiction of the Tokyo National Museum. After earthquake-proof construction, it renewed it on January 2, 2015. The opening of the special room is held three times a year, only for two weeks each.
Saitama Prefecture Tokorozawa City Located on the slope of the hill, the original was a businessman and a villa in Matsunagasu Yasuemon, a tea ceremony. “Huang Jing Tower” which is built in the premises is the one that Matsunaga received in 1930 (Showa 5 years) the Murano family residence that was in Yuukubo village (present · Higashikurume shi Yanagibe) former Tokyo prefecture, and transferred to the present location , It is designated as an important cultural property of the country as a house of the master of the Edo period. Yanase Village including Hwang Lin Cheng was donated from Matsunaga to the Tokyo National Museum in 1948 (Showa 23 years). It is open every Thursday.
The collections of Tokyo National Museum (“Column items” in the terms of the museum) are over 110,000. This is not a “point number” but a “number of cases”, and in archaeological materials and the like, there are cases where hundreds of excavated articles of a single ruins are counted as “one case” in a lump and the score “Is even more enormous. In addition to the collections of the museum, there are more than 3,000 deposits from shrines and private collections. History of acquisition of collections was (1) purchased from the museum’s budget since the beginning of the Meiji era, (2) gifts from individuals and organizations, (3) cultural property protection committee after World War II The Agency for Cultural Affairs) and others that have been changed. In addition, the so-called Horyu-ji Temple treasure was dedicated to the Imperial Family from the Horyu-ji Temple in 1878 (Meiji 11), which was under the jurisdiction of the Miyauchi Province but was transferred to the National Museum in 1947 (Showa 22) . Approximately 7,200 of them are exhibited, and about 5,500 items are displayed annually.
Collections are subject to collection and exhibition from Japan and Asian countries in the region, from prehistoric times to about the end of World War II. In addition, among the works produced in the area of Japan, independent exhibition room about the art of Ainu people and Ryukyu art is put. Oriental art has an emphasis on art in China and the Korean Peninsula, which is geographically close to Japan and has great influence on cultural aspects, but in addition to Egypt, India, Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Khmer etc.), Medium Art objects such as Near East (Mesopotamia etc.), Central Asia etc are seen. In addition to this, ethnic art in the South Pacific Islands, western modern ceramics and glassware are also stored, but it is not normally exhibited.
In addition to what belongs to the category of so-called art objects, historical materials, books, and photographic materials are also stored in large quantities. Typical examples of historical materials to be collected include the Nagasaki Magistrate office relating to Christianity, the picture map (road map) created by the Edo Shogunate, “Gokoda extraterrestrial drawing drawing parallel drawing picture” Ken no Ebisu and Miariagari), 80 volumes, a survey map of Tadao Ino, a related document of the Japanese investigation which is the first cultural property investigation in Japan, an old Edo castle photo book, etc. In the museum located in the west side of the museum, historical materials such as book materials, historical materials such as books, pictorial maps, maps, photographs and microfilm such as books mainly from those of the Edo era are collected and researchers can browse A flight has been attempted. Besides this, the postage stamp of the world collected in the era of the Imperial Museum is also one of the leading collections in Japan although it is not normally displayed.
The purchase of column items by the budget of the museum has started from the museum’s foundation period in the Meiji Era. One of the representative collections of the archaeological department, Kumamoto prefecture Eta Funayama burial mounds (National Treasures) were shirakawa prefecture (now · Kumamoto prefecture) at that time in 1873 (Meiji 6), the year after the establishment of the hall, . In addition, the female Bodhisattva statue (national treasure) which is regarded as masterpieces of Heian paintings, the Makie Hakabashi hand boxes (National Treasures) by Ogata Koin, and the Funabashi Makie Boxes (National Treasures) by Koh Yushin, this work before the museum moved to Ueno Park It was purchased from 1878 to 1979 (Meiji 11 to 12).
The donation of individual collectors also contributes greatly to the enhancement of library products. Among them, the Takashima collection of Chinese paintings (donated by Takashima Kikujiro), the Chinese ceramics Yokogawa collection (donated by Yokokawa Tamosuke), the Hirota collection mainly by Chinese ceramics and tea ceremony (donated by Hirota Matsushi), the Kokura collection of Korean art (Takeshi Ogura Collection, donation by the Kokura collection preservation association foundation) etc. are famous. Although it is not a donated item, about 8,000 Ukiyoe collections of Matsukata Kojiro (known as a collector of Western art, 1865-1950) are all in the Tokyo National Museum.
Before the opening of the Heiseikan, about twice a year, five or six times after that. In the special exhibition there are things that the museum organizes and organizes independently, and those jointly organized with newspaper companies / television stations. In the latter there are things that introduce collections of overseas museums, such as “The Big Buddha’s Lovely Exhibition”, such as “National Treasure Kofukuji Exhibition”, which exposes treasure of Shrines temple collectively. In addition to the special exhibition in the museum, the museum has a tour exhibition to introduce the collections of the museum in a wide range of museums in Japan and abroad. In addition, “special exhibition” is being conducted from time to time as a smaller scale than the special exhibition. This is a typical theme such as “Shuhei” “Makie” and the like in the usual display.
In addition to monthly lectures, theme lectures, continuous lectures, memorial lecture meetings are held at the auditorium in Heiseikan at the time of special exhibition etc. “Column item commentary” is an exhibition room that listens to expert commentary while watching the actual exhibition and is held about once a week. In addition, guided tours by volunteers, gallery talks, workshops, etc. are held from time to time. “School program” for children, “internship” for graduate students and “campus members” system for university faculty / students. In addition, collaborative projects with concerts, entertainment such as tea ceremonies, other social education facilities in Taito Ward, etc. are held from time to time. In April 2007, the educational spreading space “Lion of the Midori” opened, and now it is expanding educational promotion activities mainly in the 20th room on the 1st floor of the main building.
The agency newspaper “Tokyo National Museum News” (formerly “National Museum News”) was originally published as a tabloid paper in 1947 and is now bimonthly issued, mainly exhibitions and entertainment guides.
The research magazine “MUSEUM” is a monthly magazine published in 1951, and publishes three to four articles by researchers inside and outside the museum.
“Tokyo National Museum’s Catalog Catalog” Publications are continuing since “Ukiyo-e Prints Hen” was published in 1960 as a cataloged catalog by genre of the museum’s huge collection of items.
In addition to the above, a masterpiece illustration, bulletin, research report on collections, etc. are published.
Museum goods are cloth products designed based on cultural properties such as antique and archeological artifacts covering various parts of the eastern region including Japan, stationery and picture postcards, and are sold at the museum shop in the museum. It is also said to be the forerunner of original goods sold at museums and museums throughout Japan.