The Toledo Museum of Art is an internationally known art museum located in the Old West End neighborhood of Toledo, Ohio, United States. It houses a collection of more than 30,000 objects. The museum was founded by Toledo glassmaker Edward Drummond Libbey in 1901, and moved to its current location, a Greek revival building designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter, in 1912. The main building was expanded twice, in the 1920s and 1930s. Additional buildings were added in the 1990s and 2006.
Since our founding in 1901, the Toledo Museum of Art has earned a global reputation for the quality of our collection, our innovative and extensive education programs, and our architecturally significant campus.
More than 30,000 works of art represent American and European painting, the history of art in glass, ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian works, Asian and African art, medieval art, sculpture, decorative arts, graphic arts, and modern and contemporary art.
To accommodate the ever growing collection and demand for art education, the Museum campus has grown exponentially since its founding. From its humble first exhibition space in two rented rooms, the Museum has grown to cover approximately 36 acres with six buildings.
The main Museum building interior contains four and a half acres of floor space on two levels. It has 45 galleries, 15 classroom studios, the 1,750-seat Peristyle concert hall, the 176-seat Little Theater lecture hall, the Resource Center for Educators, the Family Center, the Visual Resources Collection, the Museum Cafe, and the Museum Store featuring Collectors Corner.
The Glass Pavilion has five galleries, a glass study room, classrooms, two hotshops, a multipurpose GlasSalon, public and private courtyard space, and a coffee bar.
Thanks to the benevolence of its founders, as well as the continued support of its members, the Toledo Museum of Art remains a privately-endowed, non-profit institution and opens its collection to the public free of charge six days a week, 309 days a year. We are closed on Mondays and major holidays.
The Toledo Museum of Art’s collection of more than 30,000 works of art ranks among the finest in the United States. In our more than 35 galleries, Sculpture Garden, and Glass Pavilion, discover important, popular, and outstanding works of art, including paintings and sculptures by Bearden, Cézanne, Calder, Close, Cole, Degas, van Gogh, El Greco, Holbein, Kiefer, Matisse, Miró, Monet, Picasso, Rembrandt, Rubens, and Turner; masterworks from antiquity and Asia; decorative arts; and highlights from our renowned glass collection.
The museum contains major collections of glass art and of 19th and 20th century European and American art, as well as small but distinguished Renaissance, Greek, Roman and Japanese collections. Notable individual works include Peter Paul Rubens’s The Crowning of Saint Catherine, Fragonard’s Blind Man’s Bluff, Vincent van Gogh’s Houses at Auvers, significant minor works by Rembrandt and El Greco, and modern works by Willem de Kooning, Henry Moore and Sol LeWitt. Other artists in the permanent collection include Holbein, Cole, Cropsey, Turner, Tissot, Degas, Monet, Cézanne, Matisse, Miró, Picasso, Calder, Bearden, Close, and Kiefer.
Toledo Museum of Art’s purpose is Art Education. We teach people to learn to see by engaging with the collections of the Toledo Museum of Art. Under the umbrella of art history, we engage people with visual culture and methods of seeing including the formal language of art, iconology, ideology, semiotics and hermeneutics.
Through our collection and programs, we strive to integrate art into the lives of people.
Considering the Museum’s aspirations, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and current environment, what the Museum can be best at, passionate about, and financially driven by is using our collection to link art and the creative process. We focus our efforts on becoming the best in the world at linking art and the creative process.