The Liptov Gallery of Peter Michal Bohoun was founded in 1955. It is the third oldest institution of its kind in Slovakia (after the Slovak National Gallery in Bratislava and the East Slovak Gallery in Košice). Its founder is the Žilina self-governing region.
Janko Alexy painter and writer, a Liptovsky-Nicolae native, gradually revived the idea of creating a gallery. He was also able to excite city officials and cultural workers. The official foundation of the gallery was preceded by an intensive collection activity in 1949. Alexy’s organizational effort culminates in 1954. With the support of the Union of Slovak Fine Artists, painters Bedrich Hoffstädter and Ján Želibský, and also the then director of the Slovak National Gallery, Dr. Karol Vaculík, promoted the idea of creating a gallery of artists from Liptov.
The building of the former Evangelical a. in. Schools from the second half of the 19th century where, in the years 1854 – 1865, Peter Michal Bohúň, the artist of national revival and classics of the Slovak art of the 19th century, worked as a teacher. His name carries a gallery and is also home to Bohumna Hall.
The painting of Petr Michal Bohúňa is being created. After almost yearly preparations of premises, collecting and processing of collections, the gallery was opened on 17 June 1956 by the exhibition “Liptovskí umělci 19. a 20. století”. The first director of the gallery became PhDr. Vojtech Mensatoris, who during the 22 years of his activity profiled a gallery in the field of collecting and exhibition activity. The profile was focused on works of Slovak art of the 19th – 20th centuries, especially middle-class provenance, and artifacts of old art. In 1971 the reconstruction of the gallery building was begun and was completed in 1978.
At present, the gallery serves as an exhibition, cultural-educational, publishing, collecting and protective function. There are approximately 5,200 works of art in her collections. The exhibitions are also presented by contemporary and contemporary artists of Slovakia and abroad.
Liptov Gallery of Peter Michal Bohuna in Liptovsky Mikulas. The gallery came into being in 1955 and is the third oldest one in Slovakia (after Bratislava – 1949 and Košice – 1954). It is located in a historical and cultural center of the city, in
The original building of the gallery dates back to the end of the 18th century. Peter Michal Bohú, the artist of the national revival and the classic of the Slovak Fine Arts of the 19th century, worked directly in its spaces through the years 1854 – 1865, like a teacher in a girl’s protestant school. The gallery gained its present appearance after reconstruction and complementary building in the seventies of the 20th century.
The collection of the gallery represents about 5,000 pieces of fine art – paintings, drawings, graphics, photographs, plastic works, from which a part is presented in four permanent exhibitions.
Slovak Fine Art of the 19th Century
LGPMB- main building, Tranovsky 3
The exhibition is a representative selection of the Slovak painting development in the 19th century. Most of the portrait painting is represented as a reflection of the progress of the middle-class status, but also of making visible the domestic intelligence (Czauczik, Klemens). Emphasis is on the creation of P. M. Bohú (32 pieces of artwork).
The second half of the 19th century brings genre themes and landscape thematic (E. Ballo, Klimkovi, Skutecký, Katona, Medanský and others). The collection also includes the works from the beginning of the 20th century, which – by their essence and Way of artistic expression – have roots in the previous century (JT Mousson., A. Ballo, Štetka, ordák, Kubínyi, Halász-Hradil, Kyselý, PJ Kern, early works of G. Mallý, M. Benka and others).
Slovak Fine Art of the First Half of the 20th Century
LGPMB – main building, Tranovského 3
The foundation of modern art is representatively included in the first part. These authors have thematically used an idealized milieu of the Slovak country, others have been influenced by secession, symbolism, expressionism, others overlapped to the topical European modernism, there are also members of the so-called Generation 1909, and artists coming at the beginning of the forties, And others.
Slovak Art of the Second Half of the 20th Century – Personality
Works by: Ester Martinčeková Šimerová, Martin Martinček, Miroslav Ksandr, Michal Kern
LGPMB – main building, Tranovského 3
The importance of their artwork overlooks the borders of Liptov and Slovakia. Every artist’s work contributes to the history of the Slovak art: Ester Martinčeková Šimerová, Martin Martinček, Miroslav Ksandr and Michal Kern.
There is a permanent exhibition of the works of important Slovak graphic and painting artist Koloman Sokol (1902 – 2003) in the Center of Koloman Sokol. Koloman Sokol was born in Liptovský Mikuláš, worked in Prague, Paris, Mexico and from the end of the forties lived in the USA. The exhibition consists of graphic works and a collection of drawings which the artist donated to Slovakia. The exhibition is supplemented by documentary materials, facts and photographs.